Beth Sabatino
Review Date: 3/19/2010

Title: The Beauty Within

Author: afragilelittlehuman

Chapters: 3

Words:
12,677

Reviews: 125

Summary: Going to his brother Jasper's company Christmas party, Edward hopes to spend time with the employee he's admired from afar for months. Will his blindness keep her away, or will she find it allows him to see her in another way?

When I first started this fic, I was excited to see it was a Blindward, though it is not my first dance with this -ward. What I did find fresh was this Edward wasn't always blind. That he did have sight for ten years. So it is interesting to hear him explain how he can feel the differences in the appearances of his family, but still pictures their younger selves. Also, how he struggles to picture Alice's hair, and how he admits to Bella that she is a version of Sandra Bullock in his mind. It got me thinking of what it would be like to be visually frozen to how the world was perceived by your ten year old self.

I love that he is human though, and at times craves his sight, but in the end is not bitter about it, such as when they are making love for the first time:

"I'd never wanted to see her more than I did at that moment, and I willed the sorrow away, instead focusing on the warmth and wetness of her surrounding me."

My favorite thing about this Edward, is that he is independent, but isn't emasculated by reliance on others. He accepts this as part of his disability. I think it is easier to do when those that surround him don't baby him, but do those little things to aide him without asking. For example, the venue and menu Alice picked out for the Christmas dinner, so Edward wouldn't have to navigate stairs nor have to use a knife to eat. Then, I loved the detail of the 2-6-10 dinner plate arrangement. That is one of those little details, you don't think about, but I am so happy Afragilelittlehuman did.

Finally, I love a girl who knows what she wants. Bella has been admiring Edward as much as he her, but it is she that conspires with Alice to get seated next to Edward at the Christmas party, and is not shy about making her desires known. She also has a past of something that has caused her pain. Charlie mentions on the phone to Edward:

"...he thanked me for making his little girl smile again."

Yet, she isn't letting whatever happened in the past make her bitter or shy away from love. It is refreshing to see her like Edward, and go for it with no guard or hesitation. There is something fantastic in people just going all in, feeling the reward will out weigh any pain.

Finally, there is the whole play of senses that overlays the whole story. You see the sense of sound, taste, smell, and feel play a more important role, and it heightened my senses memories as well. Yet it is Afragilelittlehuman's descriptions that leave me humming in contentment:

"I heard her every breath and could feel the reverberations of her heartbeat."

...and craving more.
Labels: , edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment